"We should write that spot down."

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It was 30 minutes till dark, so we got right to work. Knowing temps would get to mid 20’s that night, we just dressed her out and elected to come back for the work in the morning. Mike re-remembered how large these things are. “Gonna put your whole arm up there, Doc?”

We propped her open and made the last ½ mile hike out in good time. Home to the Salt Lake house by 11:00. Mike started calling buddies, and I tried to get some shut-eye. Next morning, I headed early back to the moose while Mike waited until some help could be assembled for the pack out.

I found her unmolested just as we had left her and got to work. I took my time, trying to recover every bit of that beautiful pink meat as I could.

When Mike and two strong backed buddies arrived 4 hours later, I was just finishing up. While they took the first 3 loads out, I relaxed in the beauty that is Fall in the mountains. They returned a lot quicker than I thought possible. Assessing the remaining load, we determined if Mike took double, we could get it all. Oh, to be young and strong again. 370 pounds of meat out in basically two trips. Winning!

Knowing that the higher temps back in town wouldn’t do, we decided to process everything right away. That whole afternoon, from 4 until almost midnight, we made meat. We kept the grinder and vacuum sealer running almost constantly. Sure looks good when you’re almost done, tho.

Thanks for reading, hopefully we’ll have another moose tale to tell soon. Momma has a bull tag!