Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Back in the 80's a fellow gave me a water damaged box of 500 Speer swaged lead 124 RN bullets for 9mm. Having no 9mm pistol I loaded them in .38 Special cases to use in my S&W 586. I forget the powder charge but back then it was most likely some middlin' level of 231.

Did not have a chronograph to measure velocity but being such soft lead with a fast burning powder they obturated well and were definitely minute of soda can out to 25-30 yards with no leading or other issues. Hard cast bullets probably would not have fared so well but I can't say for certain since that was my only experience with this.

Those were/are good bullets, I used a lot of them when I got my first 9mm (Smith 39-2). We had an RCBS/Speer jobber just off-post, and I'd ride down there and buy a box or two of them and the 452 LRN .45 bullets, and load them up for my pistols. I was using 231 as my only powder then, too. I got a lot out of the milder loads, they taught me how important trigger control and sight picture were. I was a pretty good pistol shot by the time I got out of the Army, and none of it was due to the Army,

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.