'
https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/W...-victims-name-is-released-562777031.html

"He was a good husband" - Wife defends man suspected of recorded murder

Brian Stevens Smith at his arraignment on Oct. 9, 2019.

By Maria Downey | Posted: Thu 6:44 PM, Oct 10, 2019 | Updated: Thu 9:00 PM, Oct 10, 2019

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) Stephanie Bissland was visiting family in Virginia when she was approached by two Anchorage Police Department detectives.

What she found out shocked her: that her husband, in Anchorage, had been charged with a brutal rape and murder of a 30-year-old woman in a midtown hotel - all caught on camera.

Bissland told Channel 2 today that she was shocked by the accusations, and that police told her they wanted her to know before she heard it on the news.

That information was released to the public just moments after she was notified.

She says the news left her numb, "because he was a good husband ".

Bissland says there was never a hint of that man described by police and went on to say, "never in my life would I have thought what they are saying is going on ... I don't believe it ".

Her husband of five years, Brian Stevens Smith had just become a United States citizen on September 20.

Bissland said that Smith had much to celebrate and a future that looked bright.

"I'll stand behind him, beside him, while he's going through this," said Bissland.

Copyright 2019 KTUU. All rights reserved.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.