I have been hunting and cruising timber in eastern NC for over 55 years, except for 3 years in SC lowcountry. The very first time my father ever took me hunting with him, we walked up on a cottonmouth down in the swamp. Having said that, your odds of seeing, much less being struck by, a poisonous snake are very small. However, the consequences may be so severe that it makes little sense not to take precautions. As I see it, one has 3 options: 1. Regular boots with snake proof gaiters or chaps. Some guys I know wear jungle boots with gaiters on the theory that their feet are going to get wet, so might as well have boots designed for getting wet and which will let the water out. I have a pair of snake chaps that I sometimes wear, as much for briar busting as for snake protection. 2. Leather/cordura snake boots. First pair I ever had were a gift from a client, Chippewas, non-Gore-tex. Too wide in the heel for me, and not waterproof, but nice comfortable (except for the slipping heel) boots. Next ones I tried were the typical lace-ups, an early LaCrosse model, allegedly waterproof. They began leaking shortly after purchase, and continued to fall apart thereafter. One of my sons got a pair of the Cabela's brand and after a couple of years of very light use the soles came unglued from the tops. At least they never leaked water that I know of. 3. Snake-proof rubber boots. I have had 2 pair of these, both LaCrosse. The first pair started to develop cracks after a couple of years. LaCrosse wouldn't replace them for free, but did give me 40% off a new pair.

I have settled on option 3. Coastal NC and SC are often wet, with numerous branches and ditches to cross. There is a lot of underbrush as well, which is wet most mornings and every time it rains. I like dry feet, and wore uninsulated rubber boots with chaps a lot before I got the rubber snake boots. Chaps get hot in the spring, summer, and fall, so the boots-only option is a plus as long as the briars aren't too bad. They are a little stiff-feeling at first but easy to get used to. In addition, with rubber boots (as well as other types of snake boots) you can tuck your pants into the boots, greatly reducing the number of ticks and redbugs you will have to deal with. Finally, when I get back to the truck I can get them off easily and slip into a pair of topsiders and be comfortable on the ride home.

I still own a good pair of Gore-tex lined leather boots, but I find myself wearing them less and less.

Upon reflection, I guess there is a fourth option: just wear regular boots of whatever type you prefer, and keep an eye out for the no-shoulders. That's what my dad, also a forester, did and he only got bit once in about 60 years.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.