Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I bought the case length measurement plugs from Brownells. Put them in a lightly tightened neck that is trimmed way short. Insert into chamber and bolt in. Eject and “walla” you have your max brass length. I have found my chambers have max brass lengths anywhere from 15-45 thousandths longer than book max length. I make a note for each individual rifle of its max brass length and as long as I am 10 thousandths lower than max, I don’t trim. I hardly ever trim brass now unless I am really fine tuning a load.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...clair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx

I carved one out of wood, prior to finding Brownells done thought of it too. Good little tools.

(That was when I had one rifle and was self-teaching myself to reload and didn't have a case trimmer. I was trimming with a deburring tool. Had read that a kaboom was a possibility with cases too long and it seemed a sensible way to figure out how long was too long. Nowadays I tend to trim a little short, and collet neck resize and retrim infrequently. But, thinking this over, trimming too short could be hampering my accuracy? Will have to take another look at it.)

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/15/19.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?