Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by stevelyn
What the US did to the Native tribes is reprehensible. What the CS did to try and retain human enslavement is reprehensible. Both populations still bear the scars and stigma of their past.

Just remember that the democraps were the enemy then and they are the enemy now.

The north didn't care if the south had slaves, they just wanted the south to keep funding the federal government. The south started dealing directly with England and France, thus cutting out the middle man, ie, the north. Thus the north started losing money. That was the cause of the Civil War.

Added: I'm not saying the slavery was right, it wasn't. But the north didn't care if the south had slaves. It was all about money and states rights.

I think that for the average Union soldier it was mostly about avenging the attack on Fort Sumter and preserving the Union.

If McClellan had been half the General that Grant was, he would have defeated the Army of Northern Virginia during the Peninsula Campaign and captured Richmond in 1962, thus shortening the War and saving tens of thousands of lives on both sides. Or so it seems to me. Nothing anyone who is alive today does or says will change the outcome of something that ended over 150 years ago. You can play "what if" all you want, but it doesn't change a single thing.

You are correct... nothing will change the outcome. North won and the South lost, simple as that. But, what most people, and that includes a lot here on the 'fire', dont know is what caused the Civil War. It wasn't slavery.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21