3rd Place: Zamberlan 960 Guide GTX RR WL , $359.95, Amazon (online).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd probably have liked this boot more if it weren't a 10" tall, but I went through my hang-ups about that earlier. The toe box was almost adequate, but nothing to brag about. The sole, however, was shaped such that the boot wanted to "roll through" each step, making walking seem easier. It seemed as if the heel was a touch thicker on both Zamberlans than the other boots, so maybe that accounted for it. In any event, it was kinda cool.

This boot does have a rubber rand, but it only goes 3/4 of the way around the boot. I can't say what real-world difference it would make: perhaps it saves weight? At 4-ish lbs., I'm not sure why they didn't just circle the whole damned boot.

One issue that befuddled me slightly was that I tough time getting the toe & mid-foot area secured well in this boot. Some comparing found that the Guide boot had 4 pairs of eyelets below the ankle cleat, while the Vioz had 5 sets of eyelets. For my feet, I guess that last set of eyelets allowed me to lace things up more comfortably down there.

Another issue for both of the Zamberlan boots is that the ankle cleat isn't set very far back (or down toward the heel) from the line of the other eyelets & cleats. As such, I found it hard to truly get my heel locked in with either pair of these boots, vs. the others.

The pictures show a suede exterior here, vs full grain leather for the Vioz. I dunno if it matters all that much to me, but it might to some.

In any event, these were more comfortable than the first 2 pairs, and not as comfortable as the next 2.

(cont.)

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC