Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by saskfox
The advice from loading manuals says do not substitute components. I don't and I wouldn't recommend anyone to substitute.

Yup....and I have been willing to make some exchanges to low pressure target loads....typically under 8,500 PSI but when I start making hunting loads at roughly the 12,000 PSI level I get real squeamish about substituting.

I was once told by a man on Browning's trap team that primers are primers.....load any you have on hand......well. I'm not buying that for a second. However the dealer that substituted hulls based solely on similar internal volume still has me wondering.....

Because I roll crimp all my hunting loads, I can get away with a fair amount of volume difference and still get a good crimp.....I've even put thin felt wads inside the shot cup to take up room when the shot didn't fill enough.

I think the above post by Saskfox is sage advice.....Let's hear others on this subject.

This is one reason i had about 8 different load manuals when i was shooting trap competitively. If one book didnt have exactly what i was looking for, i looked in another. Eventually youll find what you were looking for. If not, i suggest not substituting anything.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA