Originally Posted by Armednfree
I talked with a friend of mine who is an auctioneer and he and his wife are realtors. He said he had a man who's wife died when he was 59 then he retired at 66. When he retired he filled one medium UHaul with some things and put that in storage. He then went to my buddy and had him auction off the contents of his house and his wood shop, sell his house, then he just walked away. He just signed some papers, like automotive power of attorney for two cars, and walked away. He told my buddy to "get what it's worth".

Turned out to be worth almost 1/2 a million all told. Nice house fully paid for on 10 acres.

You figure you buy and build a place like that because you figure on staying there the rest of your life. Probably when the wife dies the plans change. Then you don't want to mess with crap, you just want free of it, so you toss the keys to someone like my buddy and just walk away. Like liquidating an estate while you're still alive. Perfectly logical.

If my wife dies I might do just that. Get my guns and reloading stuff, my fishing stuff and a few clothes, then just walk away.

I’m confused what you mean “walked away?”.
As in gave it all to your friend?