Originally Posted by seattlesetters
On paper, it is one of the most sensible non-Magnum, ‘06-length action cartridges to ever come along. We’re getting .264 Win Mag performance with no belt and a much friendlier design for loading long, high-BC 6.5 bullets. The size of the bolt face means a huge number of current rifles can easily be rebarreled for it. Folks are just getting sick of unnecessary recoil and modern, enlightened hunters have figured out you don’t need a .300 RUM or .300 Roy or .338 Win Mag or .340 Roy to kill a deer or elk. It is much easier to do it with a high-SD 6.5 that is easy to practice and shoot well with. This one isn’t over-bored, either, and seems to represent a very good balance between ultimate performance and efficiency.

As much as I hate to say it, as a very big .25-‘06 fan, the quarter bores are just about done. Same for .277s if you really get down to it. Not much you can do with their lower-BC/SD bullets that you can’t do better with a 6.5 or 7mm.

I haven’t played with a 6.5 WBY RPM yet, but I’m already stoked for it. I used the .270 WBY MAG for a long time and thought it may have been the ultimate one-rifle solution for all hooved game animals worldwide. It’s an almost perfect balance between wicked killing power and manageable recoil. This new 6.5 is even better with its higher BC and SD bullets, wider selection of bullets and essentially equal recoil.

I want one.

Well now don't get me wrong, I know it doesn't take a .338 Win Mag to kill deer, but that is my favorite deer round. A 210 Partition or 225 Accubond at around 2700 is just dandy. Now I will say, I didn't keep my .300 RUM very long, just couldn't find love for it like my Win Mags. But back to the .338 for deer, I love the .308 Win and all its kids, and I'm thinking a compact .338 Federal with those same 210 Partitions would be just as handy around here.

But I still think the WBY RPM should have been at the very least, a 7mm non-mag. I guess I've just had my belly full of 6.5's, to the point of not wanting to shoot my .264 WM.