Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Obvious solution is to go with the 75 BTHP

That's what I would do.

Rifles are like women. There's no accounting for their taste. They don't care what you think they should like, they are going to like what they like.

Once you figure out what that is, there's no point in arguing with them, just accept it and be happy.

That's pretty much where I am at this stage.

Have loaded up a "one last try" batch of the 75 gr. ELD-M and its best load, 33.0 RL-15 at .050" and .090" off the lands, 9 rounds each, and 10 rounds with the 75 BTHP at 33.5 RL-15. Those larger round counts really show the trend of the load. Will also start experimenting with the Hornady 68 BTHP just for the heck of it although that goes against the primary goal of minimizing wind drift - it has the greatest drift at 500 and 1000 yards of the four bullets I'm comparing.

Plan B was to get a reliable 30 year old Model 700 rebarreled to .22-250 or .22 Creedmoor by Pac-Nor but I see they've burned down. frown

Oh well, if this Tikka .22-250 doesn't do what is expected of it that will give me an excuse to get a 6mm Creedmoor. That bests the wind drift numbers out of everything in the .22-250 except the 88 gr. ELD-M, which this rifle doesn't like either....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!