I had a Superwinch that would go into a front and back receiver, but it was light duty compared to the permanent mount units. Maybe if it had the newer synthetic rope it would have been lighter than it was with the cable. I only used it a few times and it worked okay, not great, but when you need a winch you really need a winch and okay was way better than nothing. I used the front receiver more for a ball hitch and positioning the trailer or boat launching a boat at night with the help of the truck's headlights.

Pulling backwards with a winch cable under the truck reads like a bad idea to me. Where is that cable going to go other than to saw into your skid plate, oil pan, suspension parts or axles? If I did something dumb like sink the truck in the mud, logic tells me that I might not want to keep going in that direction. I bought one of those Simpson capstan rope winches that has it's own little gasoline engine and only weighs 16 pounds plus the rope. It is rated at 2,000 pounds of pull. That or I carry a chain hoist that would put a heck of a pull on a snatch um strap and that whole works fits in a tote behind the seat. I've found that if I engage my brain before I need the 4wd or the winch, I'm in a better place.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory