I've got 3 in the safe right now. Which ain't the 30 scope cross-section some of you have, but nonetheless........

A '96 model 4.5-14x50 Vari X III on my .25-06. Was the first "good" scope I owned. Of course, everything was set it and forget it back then, but it tracked consistently (something Tasco's and other wally world blister pack optics usually wouldn't), held zero (it did get bumped a couple times after falling pretty hard), and wasn't like looking through a wrapping paper tube at dusk.

An old M8 2.5 that has given good service for a couple hundred rounds on my #1 (light!) .45-70.

A Vari X III 1.5-5 that I picked up for $150 a few weeks back to put on said .45-70 and switch the M8 to my Henry .45 Colt.

Dad's got two in his safe, but I'll not bore everyone with the details. Suffice to say, thus far, they've all worked.

I will say that, aside from Dad's Mark AR, everything is set it and forget it, and Dad shoots his AR very little, and will likely never twist a knob (I bought it for me, originally, then sold the rifle to him).

These days, with all that's out there, Leupold's "tacticool" models don't really appeal to me, especially given that there's lots of "good enough" at better price points, but for "just a deer rifle", I'd buy another Leupy.