Hi. I am from so oregon on the coast. Experienced conventional rifle shooter/loader. Never shot bp before. I drew a late season deer bp tag so I went to a bp shop and they set me up with a traditions 50 cal nw magum with williams peep and 375gr hornady bullets and hodgdon triple 7 ffg powder at 75 grain volume recommended.. Along with some cleaning gear and loading paraphernalia. Seems like a good starter setup.

I dont like the the plastic containers they gave me for a charge and to hold the bullet. Not air tight and I will be in rain wet conditions.So I guess I can keep them in a little ziploc baggie. The primer caps dont fit in them so I guess I will keep them in an earplug box. Chances are I probably wont shoot more then once a day anyhow. I plan on cutting a piece of balloon and taping it onto the end of the bbl.

questions: in oregon we have to have exposed primers so how susceptible are they to rain or damp wet over the day? what to do if they are?

I plan on zeroing in a day or two.

I have a magntospeed so I can determine my avg velocities and plug into my ballsitics calc to figure out trajectory. However I am not sure how to ensure consistency with my powder loads? I have one of those copper dispensers..do I just pour in or pour in and flick it with my fingernail x times to make the powder settle consistently or?? Have a little screw top container of powder and a lee dipper and 22 cal powder funnel so you dont get spills? Not doing flintlock and buckskins so looking for efficiency rather than tradition..

and lastly.. I have a break open with removable breech plug so easy to swab out and clean the bore. I assume I need to do this after every shot and also wipe clean the screw in breech plug and fire a cap thru it to clean the flash hole. How much precision will one expect to lose on a second shot without swabbing? ( just incase I need to do a fast reload )

I dont have much time between now and season to dial in this rifle and test out sone of things asked so just looking for tips. I know how to shoot once I know the ballistics, And I can already feel I am going to enjoy bp shooting.

Thx. Chris