Originally Posted by Bristoe
I like the size of pick-ups from that era. My Grandfather had a pristine 69 Chevy long bed,..orange with a white top,...pretty pick-up. I was a middle school aged teen,..but I could reach over the side and put my bicycle in the back.

The pick-up I have now isn't very new,..a 2005 F-150 long bed. But the sides are so high that it's hard to reach over and get something out of the bed.

I guess people like bigger trucks. But the early 2000's Dodge Dakota is about the right size for me. I haven't done any measurements, but it looks to be about the same size as the '64 chevy pick up we had when I was a kid,..and at the time it was considered a full size half ton pick-up.

Preach it, bother. FIL left behind a 1989 F150 4x4 on small street tires. Only slightly larger external dimensions than my 2013 Nissan Frontier mid-size.

I like a lot of the trucks from back then. I kind of organize the ones I like under descriptive names.

Best Old Man Who Still Gets It Done Truck
F100 2wd long bed. Set low enough to the ground, old man can reach to the center of the bed for his tools and not lose his footing. If he's smart & frugal, he got the I-6 and manual transmission. If a little older, the automatic.

Best Looking Truck That Means Business
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton long bed. Looking good going down the highway with the bed loaded out or towing a trailer. Went for the more powerful motor, so we're talking either small block or big block V-8.

Best Four Wheel Drive Badzzery
Dodge Powerwagon. Nuff said.

More Practical 4WD
Ford Highboy.

===============

I really liked the Ford motors, as they generally went longer before burning oil. But the Twin I-beam stank for heavy loads. The Chevys had the nice suspensionsbut smoked after 100k on hte motor.. Dodge, not much experience with them, but they seemed to build more extended cabs than Ford or Chevy.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers