Back story: My uncle took a fatal fall while hunting about 10 years ago in southern Oregon. He was using my grandpa’s rifle which has killed many deer, a tang safety 99F in 308 which went down the mountain with him.

Grandpa passed in 2016 and I received the rifle in 2017. A very special gift from my dad. The trigger was broken in the fall and had been replaced when I got the rifle. The new trigger seems to be in working order, but...

-The auto cutoff spring does not work and is loose.
-There is some pretty bad cracking at the tang.
-The stock/receiver fit is also pretty bad.

I want to hunt with this rifle but don’t feel comfortable shooting it with the stock like it is. I would really rather not replace the stock. Thus I have not fired it.

Have been reading threads on here about tang crack repairs and it looks to be pretty doable. I have been to a few gunsmiths in my area (Memphis/Nashville) but none that are familiar with working on 99s. This is not something I want to attempt myself.

Is there someone here on the forum or elsewhere who would be able to fix the cutoff, repair the stock, and refit it to the receiver? I’ll pay good money for a proper job. The rifle is already beat up so it would not need to look pristine, I’m only concerned with function.

There is a 3x Leupold waiting in the safe (Grandpa’s scope was broken in the fall) and will be using Grandpa’s sling. Needless to say this is pretty important to me and I would be extremely grateful for any and all help.

Many thanks.
Sam