I’ve read quite a few posts here and elsewhere about 17HMR cases being split upon firing. Lots of good info about possible causes from posters and somewhere I read a manufacturers response.

I’ve noticed a few split cases here and there from a variety of rifles and ammo manufacturers. The one that splits is always the one that ruins a group. To date though I’ve seen nothing like this:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Each and every one of these are split upon inspection after firing. Accuracy is terrible. At some point I stopped and took a closer look at the unfired rounds. Every one of them are split at the neck BEFORE firing.

Tough to see up close and live. Even tougher to get a clear picture of but it’s there. Each unfired rounds neck is split. I tried to highlight a split with a sharpy far left.

Looked at many other random boxes of ammo from an assortment of manufacturers and could not find any other split necks.

Bad box? Bad lot? Don’t know that answer but Winchester everything 17HMR has shot poorly for me. Now I’ve found one possible cause.

Doubt I take the time or incur the expense of sending these back to them. Likely nothing to gain as I’ve referenced responses. Thought though I’d give others a heads up from my recent experience.

Will be no more Winchester 17HMR for me.