Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by GaryLL1959
Look for a Weaver, fixed T series. Have a 10x, 24x and a 36x that I keep around mainly to test loads. These track well, and so far, have had no issues with any of them, and they've been mounted on pretty much everything from 22 LR's to 300 winmags and slug guns. Used the 36x for a couple of years on a 308 F-TR rifle and had zero problems with the scope, other than the fact that at 36x, mirage can be bad.
These scopes, new, can be had for less than half of the grand you've budgeted.

Those old Weavers do track well and hold zero. You can find better glass, tracking is Kosher. You need accuracy more than dazzle glass for load development. Those have it and won’t break the bank.

DF

in my experience great resolution and clarity trumps more power. Great tracking requirements needs goes without saying but being able to define the the timing point is a great aid which is a result of great glass and aids in shooting the smallest groups. I would choose a 15 or 16 power with great clarity and resolution over a 24 or 25 power with average resolution and clarity.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first