I've got a 2001 F150 4x4 that I use as a daily driver to keep the miles off of my newer truck. It's been a great truck, but has 241,000 miles on it and the transmission is going out.

Pluses:
Very clean (interior spotless)
Everything works (electric mirrors, door locks, windows, etc) except the tranny
Engine still feels strong
4x4 works well
brand new Nitto tires
I paid $4k for it few years ago. Elderly lady's insurance paid me $5k for it couple of months ago (see below) and I bought it back for $500. So, I have basically no money in this truck.
Allows me to keep miles off of my newer truck.

Minus:
Tranny (duh)
Driver's side has dents from front fender to the bed from getting side-swiped by elderly lady, but I didn't care.

So the dilemma is, do I spend $2,300 to fix the tranny on a truck with 241k on the odometer? I couldn't replace it for that much money. But, it's also at the tail end of the lifespan of the motor (probably). My luck, I'd drop the money into the tranny and few months later the motor would go. Or, it could last another 30-50k miles which would be several years at the rate I'm driving it.

Talk about playing roulette. Ugh.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan