Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Jevyod
So I have always been a hunter, no more. Recently I have found that I am enjoying punching paper with my Ruger which is fairly accurate. I am not a great shot, but have shot several 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards. I don't like to use my hunting rifle for target work, and am contemplating building/making one of my current rifles into one for punching paper. First off is the caliber. I have an older Savage 110 with a birch stock chambered in 30-06 that I picked up here. I would like to get by with no modification to the action. I was thinking 280, or maybe even leaving it in 30-06. I have also toyed with the idea of 6.5-06 as well.
Not sure about the details. I don't make much money, so price is everything. I have a retired gunsmith friend that is willing to help me do the work. Was thinking Shilen select/match barrel in the heavy bull contour.Maybe a Choate Tactical stock from Midway. Timney Trigger. Thoughts, suggestions??

Some years back I built a 6.5-06AI and it turned out to be a great choice. That was on an Interarms Mark X action with a Krieger 1-8 twist fluted barrel, Timney trigger, Boyd laminate stock. Gentle recoil. Hit rates on clay pigeons on the 600 yard berm have been as high as 80% with one string of 8 in 11 shots (73%). My daughters all love to shoot this rifle. Fireform loads are very easy using .25-06 brass and full-power 6.5-06 brass. A standard 6.5-06 would be fine, too.

At the moment I have a Savage 111/birch with a magnum bolt face. If it has a standard bolt face it would become a sporter-weight 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI. Instead it will likely become a 6.5 PRC or .264 Win Mag. For pure target I'd go with the 6.5PRC.

I do confess to having an AI itch. The 6.5-06 AI does look attractive. I do like the high BC bullets available. Question I have is concerning barrel life. Seems like it would burn a barrel out but maybe not. I would say a rough average for me using this as a target gun may be 300-500 each year.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.