Originally Posted by jorgeI
Good read, thanks. Glad I used Aframes. MM, it's a CZ Safari. I took a Ruger RSM to Africa for buffalo, but sold it a few years ago. I'm using the same loads to test the CZ and the interesting fact is this rifle, although it has 1" longer barrel, velocities were slower. I also have a stash of (very) old, original 410gr Hornady solids with the thick steel lining that shoot to POI with the A-Frames.

Jorge, I would be interested in your assessment of the RSM Rigby vs. the CZ.

My bud took his .416 Rigby RSM to Zim, shot a 41" buff. His PH liked the RSM, but said it was too heavy. His back up gun was a push feed M-70 in .416 Rem. loaded with 400 TSX ammo.

Another bud is planning a buff hunt next year. He had a push feed magnum M-70 that was a gift and has nostalgic value for him. We sent it to David Christman for retrofit with a 24", #5 Shilen and action work to accommodate the .416 Rem. David installed cross pins, I Steel Bedded the action. We fitted a Trijicon 1-6 that I found here on the Classifieds. It's pretty light for a big gun, compared with the RSM. We're waiting on which bullet his PH prefers...

I loaded some "rabbit loads" to shoot WT's and hogs as he gets used to it. I used the 350 Speer over enough 4064 to reach 2,225 fps. It kicks but is manageable. We sighted it on a standing bench like Elmer advocated.

The Zim bull was killed with a 400 TSX. It was a raking shot, passing around 50" thru the bull, bullet recovered. He ran. Bud says they got after him too quick. He was down but got up when pursued, ran into some thick stuff. As they approached, guns ready, they came up on him lying dead. Bud says PH didn't give him enough time to bleed out. Wounded buff in thick stuff's gotta be a serious "pucker factor" moment... shocked

Here's the bullet and the buff..

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]