I recently missed a big bull elk on a public land muzzleloader hunt in Utah, at a range of only 24 yards (measured the next morning when I went back to the spot). I was watching a waterhole when the bull came in right at sunset. He stopped almost broadside, but his body was partially obscured behind brush. I thought his neck was clear, and at that range, with a scoped inline muzzle-loader, I knew I could kill him with a high neck shot. Unfortunately, my bullet hit a limb that was about 6 yards from me (limb from a dead, fallen juniper tree that I wish I had moved when I set up the ambush). Apparently even a 250 grain Barnes bullet from a muzzleloader at about 1970 fps can deflect when it hits a limb. The bull was completely unscathed. He just turned his head and looked at me for a second, then spun around and departed quickly. I had no chance for a second shot, obviously. I checked thoroughly, there was no hair, no blood, nothing - that bullet probably went right under his neck. It was my only opportunity as bulls in that country are few and far between. Anyone else have experience with bullet deflection on brush or limbs? Photo below tells the tale:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]