Originally Posted by bobmn
I am an ardent fan of T/C Carbines and pistols. However for the cost of a single shot 28 gauge or 410 Contender one could purchase a very nice side by side 28 gauge conventional shotgun. It is easily taken down into 2 pieces without tools. It also swings on a moving target much more smoothly. I spend time at a resort in good grouse country. To access the hunting area I have to walk through the resort grounds. With my shorthair and shotgun in a pack I am just another yuppie walking a dog. Once in the woods I quickly assemble the shotgun, put on a blaze orange cap and the dog and I go to work.

True, the TC and MGM shotgun barrels are fairly expensive. But since I already have a couple of Contender frames then it isn't too much to add another barrel. And the Contender barrels, especially in Super 16 and hard to find lengths, really hold their value well. So I could easily resell the 45/410 for the same or more than what I paid if it doesn't work out.

If you wanted to go really inexpensive you could get a Midland backpacker folding shotgun for like $150 in 410, 20, or 12 gauge. I've actually got one in 20 that I've used a few times, but it is still just a single shot. Breakdown side by side 28 isn't a bad idea though. Never shot a 28, but from what I've read it is quite a bit more effective than 410s typically, plus 2 shots would be nice at times. So they pop right apart without using tools? And how long is it broken down?