Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by erich
Just a thought. If you were to use say a 1-4x24mm, 1-6x24mm or 1.5-6x40mm scope with an Illuminated dot you can turn it down to 1x and shoot it just like a red dot but you would also have the option to turn the power up and have accurate long range capabilities.

I've tried hard to like dot sights, but just can't. I currently have a Sig Romeo 5 on one of my AR's and have tried a couple of others in the past including a Vortex SPARC. I can mount a 1-4X or 1-6X scope with a 20 or 24 mm objective and get on target MUCH faster on 1X than I can with a dot or iron sights. And have the option to go up to 4X or 6X for more precision at longer ranges. I have one with the illuminated reticle and think it a much better option if you want to use batteries. And if the batteries die I still have a working scope.

I find the optics so poor that it is hard to find the target in low light. Yea, you can see the dot, but it does no good if you can't see the target. I can see a deer or other target much more clearly in low light with a scope. Plus the adjustments are so crude getting them zeroed is a challenge and beyond 50 ish yards the dots cover too much of the target.

Listen to these two. The reflex/red dot idea is not the way to go these days. A true 1-4x is what you want.