Windfall,

sorry they didn't work out for you. To each their own I guess in this case.

Triggernosis, if your terrain isn't much worse than what's in this picture, they may just work for you as they have for me (and others). This is the gate to my "backyard" of miles of BLM land. I've been up near the 4 pines on top of the hill on the right, and I've worn mine out there in deeper snow than there is in this picture, deep enough I was considering getting some snowshoes. This pic was just easily found:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've climbed around on those hills toward the right of the pic a few times, carefully, just as I would with my Red Wings and bob sole Danner's. LL Bean's might be a bit slipperier, but snow covered wet/icy rocks and logs are not the easiest to walk around on except maybe in a pair of caulked boots.

The view from a bit higher up back down toward my house. Couldn't get a clear pic from up top, too many trees, so this is still on the foothills:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My feet run warm, so I have the uninsulated ones. That day the pics were taken it was probably around 10F to start and warmed up to about 20F. With a pair of Costco merino wool socks my feet were plenty warm. If your feet run cold, maybe get the insulated type.

If your North Carolina walking around in winter won't be much worse than that, and you'd like a pair of boots that are American made, 1/2 or less the price of Schnees or such, and are repairable, the Bean's might just fit the bill.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?