Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Change of plans........getting ready to go start the truck and hunt out my portable deer stand. It's 10 degrees and too darn cold for me to ride half a mile in a UTV, then wait until Mr. Heater warms up the shooting house. Anyway, haven't seen anything worth shooting, and yesterday afternoon I had 20 does feeding in the cornfield, and one little dink. He was sniffing on every doe in the field.

Interesting, colder the better IME, at least where I hunt in ND, MN, MT, and WY. Cold forces the deer to feed longer and more often. Does on their feet and feeding means bucks on their feet and chasing.

They move good in cold weather here too, especially if you're near a good food source. Unfortunately, the local Mennonites shoot every buck they see, which means few reach maturity, resulting in very few trophy bucks. I'm not a meat hunter, if I was it would be great, as we're over run with does. The Mennonites are supposedly meat hunters, but they'll turn down a big fat doe for a scrawny little spike, just so they nail the antlers up on their barn for their friends to see.

I saw a bunch again this morning, but nothing worth looking at twice.