Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by JMR40
What's the word on the 3-9X42. I have a 6X and absolutely love it for a range rifle. But 6X is just too much for most hunting here and there are times where 9x or 10X would be nice. I like mine well enough that I might try the 3-9X for more versatility. Thinking about mounting it in a Ruger Predator 6.5 CM to do double duty for hunting and punching paper at longish range.

And my nieces husband has a 20X he bought cheap off SWFA's sample list. For what he paid it's OK. But I'd rather have my 6X. I've had good luck with it out to 600 yards.

The 3-9 is freaking awesome. If you like the 6X you would likely agree. Some say too much tunneling at 3X and consider it a 4-9. Subtension is the same at 6X IIRC as the 6X. It's better glass, and slightly smaller footprint, made in a different factory. I just can't consider it too big for anything but as with the others I rather have capped windage. CC has whined and bitched that the 3-9 is FFP for years, it's a good sign it works.

On the subject, 6, 10, and 12X Mil Quads are AOK. There's been many numerous threads here. Seldom are the 16 or 20 much recommended.

Yup, except it’s the same subtension on all magnifications as the fixed 6, given that it’s an FFP reticle wink