I don't use BDC type reticles very much anymore. However, as BDC type reticles go, I always preferred the Z800 and Z600 to most others. I also really like the Leupold B&C reticle. I know there is not much difference in all of them. It was just personal preference. I always recommend to those who are new to BDC reticles to get their numbers for two separate power settings. We frequently read that people say "they are only good at the highest setting" or "they are only good at one setting". The first statement is completely false and the second statement is partially false and misleading. The statements are true only with respect to numbers obtained at those settings. There is a set of numbers/distances that is good/accurate at each separate power setting. One needs to shoot and confirm the distances at the power settings of his choosing. You can get to the point of absurdity and get the accurate reading for every hash/dot/point on every power setting; but, doing so at the lowest setting (3X on a 3-9) and the highest setting (9X on a 3-9) allows for more flexibility than just doing so for one setting.

We have members who will say "Well, BigSky, that's the reason for turrets". Ya, maybe. Some don't want to do that. I spin turrets. I use fixed powers. I use BDC type. Using one doesn't make a user a better person than someone else. Trigger time with each will make one better with whatever setup one chooses. Heck, decades ago when all of these great alternatives weren't around, I thought my dad was a genius. He taught us about what I just explained with a simple duplex reticle. Ya, it was only three aiming points; but, man, did it simplify things and put rudimentary ballistics and capabilities into a new realm for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ