Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by BlackBranchFarm
I am dissappointed in this handgun because I had always heard how wonderful N frame Smiths were. I like the way this one handles, but it shot terribly with any cast bullet "target" load I am familiar with. The crown on it looks pretty rough too, but I looked at several at the Tulsa show and they all looked the same. This may be the new normal for Smith and Wesson.

Anyway, I am glad I found at least one load it likes. Apparently the "target" revolver likes to be loaded hot and with jacketed bullets.
I figured it was a pre-lock gun. I didn't know they still made 627's. You get it ironed out and it will be a good one, most likely. I've owned two 27's and they were great guns, if overbuilt for the cartridge.

I know several people who love the 27, which is the main reason I decided to try this one. The factory tuned trigger is nice in both single and double action, it just does not shoot as well as I was led to believe.

I tried it again this weekend, and while I did not get the stellar groups I got on the first day, it still did alright. The light was not as good and I had trouble seeing the sights so groups were roughly twice what I got last week. I will order some xtps and see if I can duplicate the Hornady factory load or close to it. Might try an after market rear sight as well.
I think things will get better if you hang in there with it and you'll end up liking it. Can't beat a big N frame with a stick.