Originally Posted by DrDeath
Anyone still use a 44mag rifle???? What are you using and what’s your range? What rifle?

Not in a few years but I'm considering a return. Ruger 77/44 or a Marlin 1894.

My last was a Winchester 94 trapper. It work a Weaver K2.5 in Weaver mounts. It would handle ammo a lot longer than a Marlin, Win 92, or the Rugers. Most of the time I shot Speer 300 grain unicore soft points loaded to the rear cannelure over 22.5 grains of Win 296. Later I shot 300 grain XTPs seated to the front cannelure and had to stop at 20.0 grains of Win 296.

The last deer I killed with it was a small-medium 4x4 blacktail. It was chasing a doe. She saw me and ran past trying to rub him off. It worked .. by bullet. His head was stretched out chasing her scent. He was so close that from that position I shot him straight down through the top of the head between the horns. That 300 grain Hornady made a hole that looks drilled. And, of course, he was dead before he hit the ground.

I also shot some 180 .. Remington .. both factory and handloads with 29 grains of Win 296. Shredded a racoon on the porch with it.

Anyway, I would like to pick up either a Ruger 77/44 or a Marlin 1894, waffling between the SBL and Cowboy.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...