I like the 270 WSM a lot but it is not a huge step up from the 270 Winchester or at least not with loads with R26 and some of the other newer powders. There are more good stream lined bullets available in 270 caliber than there used to be so that is not really a limiting factor at least at 500.

What ever he is shooting now he should practice with it at longer ranges to see how he is shooting and to see if: he, the rifle weight, optics, or cartridge are limiting factors. Usually it will be the shooter and the field conditions that are the limiting factors. Even light rifles can be shot accurately and weight can be added with a bi-pod or larger scope if needed.

If I wanted a 270 for maximum point and shoot distance it would be the Wetherby. The 7mm magnums fit this role for me well. Even though I practice to 500 hundred yards and beyond in actual hunting situations seldom times do I shoot past 300-350 yds. It also depends on what he is hunting if much game larger than deer then a 7mm or 300 might be a better choice even though a 243 can kill elk at 500.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli