While I have always tried to find high ground and glass more than hike while hunting, I am getting older and want to emphasize glassing even more than hiking now. I hunt exclusively in the West. I have used a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 10x40B binoculars as my main hunting binocular for almost 10 yrs. now but want to get a higher magnification binocular for longer glassing sessions off a tripod. I have tried using a spotting scope but I get too much eye strain. I am comparing used older Zeiss 15x60T Classic Armored to the newer 15x56 Zeiss Conquests, Swarovskis, Meoptas, and other roof prism models. I know that optics have improved a lot over the last 20 - 30 yrs. but the Zeiss Classic porro prisms were excellent spotting binoculars in their day and the larger objectives appeal to me and there are some available used in the $1200 - $1800 range. I have also heard from some Zeiss users that the new Conquests don't have as much edge sharpness as the older Classics do. I have used a friend's Swarovski 15x56mm on a tripod and they are excellent but haven't been able to compare them to a Zeiss 15x60 Classic.

What have other users of hi magnification binoculars found or experienced in comparing the older Zeiss Classics to the newer roof prism models? Any particular things to look out for when inspecting used Zeiss Classics?

Thanks,

HW

Last edited by HCWHunter; 11/20/19.