I have a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and Mod. 94 Big Bore AE in .356 Win. Both wear peep sights as they are used for hikes and fishing salmon streams, camping and ATV rides and are easier to carry then my scoped bolt guns. I also never warmed up to putting a scope on a lever gun centerfire that had a tubular magazine and an exposed hammer.

I don't shoot as good at 100 yards and beyond with peeps as I used to when younger. So this summer I put my Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 with a German #4 reticle on the .356 Win. and did some shooting at the range. As I suspected, I am a better shot with the scope and could hit a moose or bear at ranges I would not trust the little .356 Win. to give quick and reliable kills. But for Alaska, where most first shots on moose and bears and most other critters are taken at around 150 yards, I would be smart to scope it and probably would for actual hunting use.

That little scope is about as light as they come, has about the best eyes relief I have seen and the German # 4 reticle aids in low light shooting. I have made killing first shot hits out to 350 yards with that scope on a bolt gun, so it should offer plenty of magnification for most lever gun loads. On 1.5 power it is really fast, so for me it is about perfect for these types of lever guns. The scope has also proven to hold it's zero and I have no intention or need to ever twist it's elevation turret.

Other posters are singing praises about the Freedom and FXII, which I have never looked through. Lots of options and it really depends on your intended use and your priorities.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 11/20/19.