I did not start this thread to convert anyone to Dewey. If anything, it's a criticism. I would suggest though, that you pick up a one piece rod of some kind if you don't have one.

I bought my first Dewey stuff in the late 70s. It was a new company and I got some very good deals because I was in the military. They appeared to be well made, and that was good enough for me. Their products are still good today, but...

I went to clean a couple of rifles, but couldn't find the bag containing their proprietary brushes, jags and an 8-32 adapter. I left it at the trailer. I checked at Cdn Tire and Cabelas, but neither had the adapter, so I had to clean them with the Real Avid kit.

Not wanting this to happen again, I decided to order some spares from Dewey this morning. I have two of their coated rods - a 22/6.5mm and a 27 and up. Both have different threaded male tips (see FAQs below).

If I needed a new rod today, I would probably get some Tipton one pce. carbon rods because they use an 8-32 threaded pitch - except for 17 and 20 cal.. No worries about buying odd sized brushes, jags or adapters for the Dewey rods. Some might say that these different sizes are needed because of the different bore diameters (for strength), but I dunno...

From the Dewey site:

What is the thread pitch on J Dewey cleaning rods?

.17 and .20 caliber, both coated and stainless – 5/40 female
.22 caliber coated – 8/36 male
.22 and .27 caliber & up stainless and brass rods – 8/32 female
.27 & up coated rods, including .35/.50 caliber – 12/28 male
Coated shotgun rods – 5/16 x 27 female
Brass shotgun rods – 12/28 male
Copper eliminator series rods – 8/32 female
22CF rods – 8/32 female
6-HDB rod – 8/32 female

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com