Do you still have your first big game rifle? I still have mine, a Ruger 77 MkII stainless in 300 Win Mag. I bought it during my freshman year of college at a small store in Idaho. Guy behind the counter said it would shoot flat and hit hard and it would be all I’d ever need. After two months on layaway and a bunch of odd-jobs, it was mine. I wish I knew then what I know now, or I might have gotten something cheaper to shoot with less recoil.

I mounted a used VX-II 3-9x40 on it and bought a few boxes of Remington 150gr Core-lokts, and zeroed it at 200 yards (at the suggestion of my hunter safety instructor). I killed several coyotes, a few rockchucks, my first mule deer, whitetail, blacktail, and elk. I missed a few too, along the way. It was never better than a 2 MOA rifle with that ammo, which was better than I could really shoot at the time.

I’ve owned a bunch of rifles since then, but I still have it. It now wears lower rings and a VX3 3.5-10x40. No more Core-Lokts, just handloads. I would take it anywhere, I just don’t seem to anymore.