The market has been drifting away from 98 Mausers for a while now, partly because the older shooters who actually might want 'em tend to already have 'em, and younger shooters are more interested in different stuff--like the bargain in Dirtfarmer's post.

I'm one of those older shooters, but have enough Mausers to last the rest of my life. Built this one on a Model 50 purchased for $250 from my father-in-law almost 30 years ago. It was a .270 and shot well, so I restocked it myself with a pre-inletted stock made of European walnut grown in New Zealand, which as I recall cost $100 when Bishop went out of business. Eventually shot the .270 barrel out, and since I was hurting all over for a 6.5x55 after foolishly selling a very accurate factory rifle, had Charlie Sisk rebarrel it with a Lilja turned to the same contour. The safety is a Gentry 3-position, installed by Dave a few years before he passed away, and the trigger a Timney. It shoots very well with the right loads, but am not only less interested in acquiring more Mausers at this stage (though exceptions can always be made for the right one) but haven't made a stock in so long that can't remember the last time I got out the checkering tools. That said, this is one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck