Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Someplace in one of my drawers I have several rounds of 9.3X55 marked ammo. It is loaded in 38-55 brass. I know nothing about them. It came from the estate of one of my old shooting friends.

The 9.3 is indeed .376 which I hear newer 38-55's are. (Like Winchester's.375) . Older ones tend to be on the.379-.380 diameter.Wonder how case dimensions compare.

However, I have only been in this 38-55 business a few months and slowly finding out that there is a lot that I don't know about what I don't know. grin

A few years ago I came into possession of a Single Action Colt in about1900 mfgr. Part of it was pre smokeless and the part that mattered was smokeless. . I had heck of a time matching bullets.The cylinder was 38-40 sized, but the barrel was .401. It turned out thru research that Colt had lot more .401 barrels than 38-40 so they used them instead..The biggest cast bullet could get chambered was .403. I got it shooting, but POI is 2'' high and 3"left. I can't find any lighter bullets than the std 180gr to get it to shoot lower,and no one wants to turn the barrel to correct the windage. Then I had Taylor reline the Marlin 94 and it takes smaller bullet .Decided then to not get into custom bullet molds and bullet casting.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/25/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles