Originally Posted by rickt300
A pet peeve of mine is people saying it is too expensive to hunt hogs. When I take anyone out on my leased properties (paid for by me) I spend around $50. on gas, I have to be on the properties with them to protect my stock and make sure they don't shoot anything they shouldn't. So that means I have to drive 150 miles, stay up all night and drive home another 150 miles. Not to mention maintaining the feeders which hold 240 pounds of corn (also paid for by me) and typically I clean the pigs that are shot. Add to this pigs do not run on a routine, meaning generally they do not come when the feeders throw corn and on any given night they may be somewhere else. For some dickweed to say $125. to $150. for a day hunt is too much shows they are cheap thoughtless jerks.

Had to laugh when I read this. My BIL's BIL has a ranch in east Texas. He gets visited by hogs on a rotation and they do a lot of damage on the nights they come. He's got a day job and so do his boys so the only time they take the time to maintain their feeders is during deer season.

One day I walked the property with my BIL and did some calculating on what it would take for me to drive out there and get the place ready myself to kill some pigs and I soon came to the realization that - apart from the money involved in getting there and back home again, the cost of putting out feed and new batteries for the feeders and whatever else I'd need to do - I'd be there for weeks getting the pigs habituated to coming on to the property more often than they do - and it would hardly leave me with any time to shoot them.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill