Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

You think they’re graduating from the .22 WMR?

DF
Nah these youngsters started with HMR's. Mostly head shots from what they've told me. The HMR wouldn't be "graduating" or a step up from the WMR in my opinion. I've killed quite a few with the WMR and the 5mm Remington magnum rimfire. Both are good killers with head shots of course but they're also surprisingly effective with lung shots. I'd not want to bet on the HMR doing as well.

Considering it is known to penetrate bullet proof vests, it ought to hang a job on lungs when well placed also...
Penetrating a bullet proof vest ain't got shyt to do with meat and bone. I stopped shooting woodchucks with my HMR when I belted a big one right in the teeth as it faced me from 165 yards and it didn't kill it. When we walked down to it, it was still alive and coughng and gagging. Put another round into it's chest and then did an autopsy. The tiny bullet had broken out the front teeth, raked a furrow down the roof of it's mouth and was just laying in the back of it's throat. It was actually choking/gagging on the expanded bullet. I know from MUCH experience a 40 gr. WMR JHP would have gone out the back of it's head and killed it instantly at that distance with that same shot placement. I have put several Win. 40 gr. jhp's completely through the chest cavity/both lungs of several grown whitetails. None went more than 80 yards after the shot and most were down inside 50. I have been less than impressed with the HMR's performance on bigger varmints like coon, coyotes and woodchucks. I would have my resevations/doubts about using it on deer.