Well, carry-friendly and shooter-friendly are generally oxymoronic but some of the higher end composite stocks might fit the bill. Stock fit to the shooter is important for dealing with recoil. Lightweight rifles will be harder to shoot well in most hunting situations without a bipod/tripod. I suspect recoil in either cartridge shooting identical bullet weights at comparable velocities would be about the same.

Slightly better ballistic coefficient with the 6.5 x 55. 7 x 57 ammo perhaps more readily available.

The 1909 action would be fine for either cartridge but will require bolt handle alteration, drill and tap for scope bases, and a Buehler or M70 style replacement safety. The 09 trigger might be reworked to single stage and lighter pull than milspec, but a Timney or Dayton Traister trigger might be the best way to a 3-4 lb crisp trigger. Weld on a new low bolt handle rather than forge the original handle. Forged handles are too short, may not clear the scope well, and do not look as nice.

My most recent Mauser sporter conversion has a 24" Brownells 6.5 x 55 barrel installed on a VZ24 M98 action similar to the 1909 which seems to shoot very well. This conversion has a secondhand Bell and Carlson glass stock, low cost bolt alteration(no longer available), and I drilled and tapped the base holes with a Brownells jig, and installed a low safety and Timney trigger myself. I'm holding off on reblueing or cerakote pending repeatability of good accuracy from the first set of handloads.

Brownell's barrel $100, barrel install $100-150, weld low bolt handle ?$100, drill and tap scope base holes ?$50+, install low safety ?$50+, timney trigger $80, inexpensive stock $150, reblue $100. Premium barrel $300-400 and better stock $300+. With the exception of the barrel one might be able to save a few dollars shopping the gun shows or DIY so you can see why some might suggest just buying a Ruger American or TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor...or a used CZ, Ruger M77, M70.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 11/26/19. Reason: add