I'm from Williston. Don't know exactly where this bull was taken, but it was south of town. Large area of bottom land along the Missouri river upstream from Lake Sakawea and just downstream of the Confluence of the Yellostone and Missouri rivers. Pretty much ideal moose habitat with large willow bars, islands and back channels interspersed with timbered areas. Large areas of public land, but access to some areas only by boat. Don't think he was hunting from the boat per say. Just getting from point A to B when he saw this bull. Not much different than spotting a deer from the truck and trying to figure an approach. To each his own, but I see nothing wrong with it. Not like he shot it with a rifle right from the boat. He was Bowhunting. Still quite a challenge in IMO. Good for him.

Growing up the bottoms just south of Williston where awesome for pheasants. Used to hunt there for opener every year. Last several years there has been more water with flooding, which has taken out a large portion of the good nesting habitat at the time it is needed. Flip side is the moose have moved in. Hardly any moose around when I was growing up, but quite a few now. Mountain lions too.

Do or do not, there is no try.