Bill Jordan, more’n anything else, was a practical handgunner. I bought his book “No Second Place Winner” for my brother when I was in high school and my brother an MP in the Army. I suspect Mr Jordan would approve of any number of modern fighting handguns today.

Of more interest to me is “What would W.E. Fairbairn do?”

Fairbairn was waaaaaaay ahead of his time, survivor of more than sixty deadly altercations in his twenty-five years in the pre-WWII Shanghai Municipal Police.

While our police were still training by standing up and shooting at targets Fairbairn devised practical pistol courses of fire for his men, including home entry scenarios, pop up targets and shoot/no shoot scenarios.

Fairbairn said most gunfights would be 1) in the dark 2) within ten feet and 3) decided in the first two seconds. Heck, his master handgun treatise was called “Shooting to Live”, he was someone who obviously “got it”.

http://index-of.co.uk/Tutorials-2/S...rn%20and%20Sykes%20-%20FMFRP%2012-81.pdf

Anyhoo... most unusual for a Brit of the period, Fairbairn favored semi-autos for their speed. First of all the Colt 1911, IIRC with a pinned down grip safety. For his more diminutive Chinese recruits the Colt 1903.

Today, I’m gonna WAG that neither Jordan nor Fairbairn would find any fault with the Glock 19.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744