Originally Posted by WTF
And not to be called a P17

Sorry; I can't spell Enfield.

Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The P-14 is the same basic action , but it's chambered for the rimmed .303 British cartridge. The rifle in the picture has had the ears for the rear sight milled off and it has been restocked in sporter style. The US M-1917 was manufactured in the United States by Remington, Winchester, and Eddystone for export to England during WW I, and US troops were issued a limited number of them late in the war instead of 03 Springfields. Lots of of unfired Eddystone rifles were carried by trainees as drill rifles during WW II, including my father who was in the Air Force Cadet pilot training program. The Civilian Marksmanship Program sold thousands of them, new and unfired, to rifle clubs, ROTC units, and other purchasers in the 1950's.
Jerry

Pretty sure that more U.S. troops were issued Enfields than Springfields, including quite possibly Sgt. Alvin York.

A fair number of 1917s went to Britain for Home Guard use during WWII. Those were marked with red paint to avoid ammunition confusion. Alas, many of those may have gone into the ocean after the war along with the sporting rifles donated by the American people, to prevent their falling into the hands of Free Englishmen, a scary thought for the well-connected Brits, who of course had all the guns they wanted.

So, it seems possible that our subject may be one of the loaner rifles sold at surplus to "Whitworth". Gotta be some markings somewhere on that puppy.

What fresh Hell is this?