I’ve always had a thing for single shots. I have an 1885 high-wall in 45-70 and used to have a No. 1A. I sold it, though I probably shouldn’t have, and have been wanting another. I have been looking for a Ruger No. 1-S in 30-06 because I thought I would like the 24 inch barrel and a little extra weight on that end.

Be careful what you wish for! I finally found one in mint condition on Gunbroker. I got it today, and was disappointed to find the barrel to be really heavy. Its easily thick enough to be bored .458. I guess I will use it with the irons, but noticed that the thicker barrel has the front sight post just a bit higher than my old 1A and I cant get my face low enough to achieve a proper sight picture.

I thought about a peep mounted on the quarter-rib like an NECG. I wonder if I’ll need a taller front sight? Does anyone have this rifle and use that sight? I’ve seen people post about needing a taller sight with the 1A. My 77/22 has a Williams and had to be fitted with a taller front. I just wonder since this barrel is thicker.