Popularity may or may not be on the decline. I am retired, so: I fit the Tarzan demographic. I see that. I did read books. Not more than todays generation surfs the web. Books cost money, the web is free. That matters when you are 16yrs old. Tarzan or not, I am fascinated with big guns. During my early years, choices for big bore rifles were a limited: 375 or 458 and bad taste and borderline idiotic Weatherby options. When CZ reintroduced the 602 magnum, I stocked up big time. I doubt I am alone. Cabelas and many LGS had them stocked and restocked. Now, that initial void or demand has been filled and sales have leveled off. I read about the 416 and 505. I never though those would fit into my discretionary budget. I still see used 505 custom rifles from the bad-old-days at 20k! Mine was 3k. Some brag about better deals, For ~3k anyone can have one today. The 458Lott and 416 Rigby can still be found around 1k (or whatever). They were less, now a bit higher. You wont get any of those from Winchester. I bet there was a 5-10 year period where CZ could not supply the pent up demand. Now it is at a normal level, given all the associated costs. I have no interest in this business. I got mine. I think I could sell them all for what I got into them. I cannot say that about many other firearms.

Lets move on to doubles. If they were ever available new at anything close to current prices (adjusted to real dollars). I was not aware. Not talking H&H/British, but French or Italian options (maybe German). Over my budget, but; they sell and you are not paying the cost of a nicer suburban home to get a solid, classic, sxs double. There are a lot of companies in business for this to be a dying hobby. Maybe a few too many companies. A lot more than the zero, I recall from the bad old days.

Yes, hobby. I never been to Africa. I am certain the majority of 458 win mags sold in the USA never been out side of North America. History, romance or pure fun, IMHO only a small percentage leave the continent. My gut tells me, big bore rifles are more popular than ever. It has always been a nitch market. And, Look at all the 40 caliber options. That was a big goose egg back in the day. Talking fingers and toes!