if you have never shot a rifle that has higher than normal velocities on a animal, you probably don`t understand what happens or have seen what happens to a deer.my son now understands what happens after a few years hunting deer in Minnesota and out west,he has shoot bucks with his 308 Win. cartridge 165 grain and killed these deer but all ran aways but less than 100 yards , i finally talked him into using his 257 Weatherby Mag. for the last 2 years for every day he hunted ,all 4 bucks he shot in those 2 years either fell over or hubbled away about 40 feet and fell over dead. the 308 WIN.cartridge with the 165 grain bullet speed was around 2800 fps ,his 257 Weatherby cartridge with a 100 grain bullet went 3800 fps and he did shoot some of the bucks much farther away also with the 257 W.Mag. all fell within site never farther than 40 feet. all were shot in the lung area either out the window of a deer stand or off a bi-pod out west and he shoots extreme well too.here is another small but great factor with speed of 3800 fps 500-600- yards is not that difficult to Kentucky windage when your in a hurry with a shot and alone with atleast a bi-pod. so using a normal 30 caliber 165 gr. bullet going 2800 fps verses a 25 caliber 100 grain bullet going 3800 fps which way you wanna go is up to each person but my self i will still choice speed and now so will my son. we only hunt deer with a Ruger#1 in a 257 Weatherby Mag. same type rifle as my son we both know with this cartridge on deer one shot is all it takes to down a nice buck. with respect hope you all have had a great fall hunting,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman