I worked the gates and other on-base posts at Camp Pendleton in late 1971 or early 1972 as an MP. While on duty I carried a 1911A1 with one mag and 5 bullets. Checked it out and back in at the Provost Marshal armory going on and off duty. You had better come back off your duty post with 5 rounds. Our Sergeant kept a stash of ammo, so if you worked one of the posts out in the boondocks and cranked off a round at a coyote, he’d give you a replacement round. I was a PFC or Lance Corporal back then.

I remember that we did have a round chambered, since we had to clear the weapon upon return to the armory.

Only nervous moment we ever had was when a PX or whatever got robbed and a car with armed robbers was heading toward our gate. I was wishing for more than 5 rounds at the time. They didn’t make it to our gate.

I get the feeling that most of the Stateside military doesn’t get much weapon training these days. A granddaughter married a Captain in the Army Rangers, and they came to visit, and the guy was not a very good shot. He said they don’t shoot much. I’m thinking the NCO’s can shoot, but the officers drink coffee.

Another young lady brought her fiancé to visit, and he was with SWAT in a big city. He was impressive. He outshot me with just about every rifle and handgun I have. That guy could shoot. I guess they practice.