Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The phone cameras I've looked at have all had digital zooms. That's pretty poor quality compared to the optical zooms found on even the cheapest P&S cameras. They're good for snapshots but not so much if you want to enlarge a photo.

You need to revisit the cameras on current phones. Quite amazing..........as they should be on a $1000 phone.

The Iphone 8 has only a 2x optical, the rest is digital. My little $200 Panasonic gets me 20x optical and up to 30x with some additional digital. A better camera will do much better yet.
Optical zooms have a series of lenses that move back and forth to focus on the subject. Cameras use a single lens but some actually have as many as 3 separate cameras built in. It's not nearly as good as an optical but it sort of works. The results don't become apparent until you start enlarging. You'll never see it on a Facebook size shot which is where 95% of the photos end up. There's 1 phone, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, that has a real optical zoom but it's a strange bird. This photo is looking down from the top of it.

[Linked Image from cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net]

I have a iphone 8 plus which is a little bit better then what comes on the 8