Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I guess that I'm on the road to hell.

Just verify the info you're saying is correct before sharing it.

And how/where would I verify this information from sources that would be something other than anecdotal experiences?

One of the best old-time 'smith that I've ever known told me the information that I shared over 30 years ago and I would trust his information 10 times out of 10. He never steered me wrong, but he is long dead, so I can't ask him why he told me what he told me. The conversation came up when I was looking at a Remington 760 in his shop that had been rechambered from 35 REM to 358 WIN. I took it over to the counter and he told me not to buy it because he said that the ROT was too slow for the longer/heavier component bullets available back in the last 1980's,

I'm not trying to be a dick here at all, but here are 2 ways that come to mind:

1 - ask "is the 35 Remington twist rate fast enough for heavier bullets? Will it be a problem?" instead of proposing that there is a problem based on bad information. Plenty of people here know this stuff and could answer that question.
or
2 - do a quick google search for 35 Whelen and 358 Win twist rates in Remington rifles. Maybe take another minute to read if that works for heavy bullets like the common 250gr 35 Whelen load. You'd have found that Remington uses the same 1:16 twist rate for the Whelen.

It's too bad your old-time gunsmith gave you that bad information to start with; that would have been a great rifle to have and could have served you well. Just because someone knows how to work on guns doesn't mean they are correct about all things gun related.