Originally Posted by Roundball1
My Experience: An alloy that Glen Fryxell spoke of was the 50/50 using wheel weights and unalloyed lead. I had Hollowpointman make a hollow point mold from a single cavity 452374 mold. The 50/50 mix was the hardest that HP alloy should be according to Mr Ohlen. That was long ago and may have applied to 45 ACP only. . The 50/50 alloy also can be used for BP cartridges. Been there done that. The last hollow points I made were from an old Lyman factory mold for the 358156. I found that alloy was important having having undesirable explosive expansion with home cast 44 caliber HP bullets in my Super Blackhawk.

Choosing the right alloy for a hollow point is important, and depends a lot on the hollow point design and the velocity it'll be used at. I have converted more than a few molds to hollow points, and for most of them designed the hollow point for straight WW alloy (clip on, air cooled). For those designs, using 50/50 would be way too soft. For some others, maybe too hard. I would not claim there is any particular alloy or hardness that's best or maximum for hollow points unless we're talking about a specific bullet.